April 4, 2009

Crafty Mama

It's been months in the planning, but finally the nursery is finished! Ever since I saw I first saw this this DIY project months and months ago, I'd been wanting to tackle it for Colin's nursery. But first I had to get a sewing machine, then I had to learn to sew, then I had a baby and so had to wait for a babysitter to free up my hands to do the sewing. Fortunately, Mae Mae came to the rescue. She gave me her old sewing machine for Christmas, and then flew up from Little Rock in January and March to teach me to use it (possibly the most expensive sewing lessons in history).

We had more fun picking out the fabrics and all the notions to go with it, and then sewing it all together one sunny afternoon. It was possibly the most satisfying first-time sewing project ever, because you don't have to sew a terribly straight line and you can finish it all in just a few hours. My second sewing project was a bit more tedious, but more on that later.

Anyway, I thought the garland really "finished" the room, until Mae Mae had the brilliant idea of using the leftover flags to decorate the baskets on Colin's bookshelf. I just love the way she embellished them with rick-rack and old buttons. Now the room is really finished -- only I'm not finished yet with making party garlands. I bought extra fabric to make three more, which I'll use to decorate the dining room for Colin's first birthday, and his second, and his third ...








No comments: