February 28, 2014

The fanciest, French-iest little art smock ever


Years and years ago, I stumbled upon a book of sewing patterns for little kids that had this adorable, French-y, vintage-looking little art smock in it. It was going to be the perfect thing for Colin to wear in all of those messy toddler crafts we were going to do together. I went out and bought the cutest fabric I could find (I believe it is Robert Kaufman, circa 2008?), and then promptly forgot about the whole thing—for three years and two more children.

But, lo and behold, this past January I finally found the time and energy to tackle this project. Just don't ask me how.

The pattern is from Oliver + S: Little Things to Sew by Liesl Gibson, and the whole book is brilliant. I kinda want to make everything in it.

But don't let the simplicity of the design fool you. This is one fancy art smock. It has got French seams. Now, why a kid's art smock needed French seams beats me. But I appreciated learning how to do them properly, thanks to Ms. Gibson's excellent instructions. (I'll just not mention the two hours I spent sitting on my kitchen floor trying to figure out how to do French seams on a raglan sleeve. In my defence, it was pushing midnight and there might have been wine involved.)

After working so hard on this pretty little thing, it seemed a shame to let Colin wear it and get it all messy. But this afternoon, when he said he wanted to pull out the wet clay, I knew a fancy little art smock was just what he needed.

Now, I guess I've just got to sew one for the other two!






I (heart) you, too, Little Man!

No comments: