August 14, 2012

On the farm ...


A couple of weeks ago, I packed up the fam, called a bunch of my girlfriends, and said, "Let's go to the farm!" For us, the "farm" is Prairie Gardens Adventure Farm, about 40 minutes north of Edmonton, where we go a couple of times a year to wander through the corn maize, enjoy a "Teddy Bear Tea Party" or pet the animals. It's not a proper farm (hence the maize and the tea parties), but it's as close as I'm going to get in this lifetime. I'm afraid Kevin is not at all keen on my "back-to-the-land" dreams...



Anyway, technically we were going there to pick strawberries for a group jam-making session, but even though the strawberry season had only officially begun two weeks earlier it was already nearly over! And though were were there by 10:00 a.m., most of the berries had already been picked! I guess the early bird really does get the worm. (Note to self: Next year, pick berries at approximately 9:00 a.m. on July 15th.)

So, even though I only got about a quart of strawberries, the kids had fun "adventuring." Colin got to ride a pint-sized John Deere Tractor, climb a mountain of haybales, and play with his little friends. And I got to see the baby chicks and goats and rabbits, and play with my friends. And we managed to wrap it all up by 12:30, just before the sky broke.

Oh, and I did get to make jam. But more on that later...








No comments: