October 3, 2011

Even More from the WTHWIT? Department


He did it again! You would think I would have learned how to keep Colin out of the dry goods by now, but you'd be wrong.

The other day when I stepped out of the shower, I heard an eerie sound: silence. So I ran to the kitchen and what should I find but Colin with a box of table salt all over the kitchen counter. And he was eating it. By the handful.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me," I taunted myself.

In my defence I did put the salt out of reach after the last time, but he's learned how to use his highchair as a ladder, the crafty little devil.

Where should I store the salt now, do you think?


4 comments:

Jeff said...

Maybe you should try some kind of magnetic locks, like these.

But on another note, I am gagging thinking about eating a handful of salt. When I was a kid, I would root around for the white, powdered donuts. Canada's got that kid all mixed up.

Sarah Ligon said...

Hey, Jeff! Great to hear from you. No kidding the kid is messed up. He even says, "X-Y-Zed" instead of "Zee." what's up with that? It doesn't even rhyme?!

And thanks for the tip. I haven't seen those, and they might be just what we're looking for. We can't use the normal child-proof locks because our cabinets are weird and we're in a rental so we can't go modifying things too much.

Sarah

Vicky said...

My neighbour uses elastic bands around the cupboard knobs to keep her daughter out. It worked for a while.

Jesse said...

Colin's path to clandestine salt intake is admirably direct. When I was his age I used to sneak into my grandparents' kitchen on winter mornings after Papa finished salting the walkway and, I kid you not, lick the salt off his boots. You mean to tell me there was a box of it in the cupboard the whole time?! How I ever identified galoshes as an acceptable source of sodium is one I'm still trying to figure out. I wish Colin and I could hang out. I think we'd understand each other. I should warn you that Colin may soon, as I did, reach for the maple syrup and drink it like a juice box.